"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Friday, September 8, 2017

Lassen's Devastated Area: Then and Now



While thumbing through my bookcase, I came across a book that I bought during my September 1968 visit to Lassen Volcanic National Park. It is Eruptions of Lassen Peak (A Photo Story of a Volcano) by B. F. Loomis. It is the 1966 edition. The book was first published in 1926. I wish I had found it before my trip. I did not see any copies of this book in the Manzanita Lake Store (new editions of otherwise). I bought the book at the Manzanita Lake Store on September 10, 1968.

While looking through the book, I noticed a photo of the Devastated Area following the 1915 eruptions of Lassen Peak.

Here is the photo:



The area's timber was wiped out by the eruption's mudflow (from snow melted by the hot lava). Today, the area has grown back (after all, it has been 102 years since the eruption).

Here's what the area looks like today:

Above, the trees have all grown back in the Devastated Area during the past 102 years. Photo by Armand Vaquer.



For more, go here.

No comments:

Search This Blog