"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Monday, January 1, 2018

Little Tokyo Oshogatsu 2018

Above, an old friend. It appears to be the same Godzilla figure Anime
Jungle had on display at last year's Oshogatsu. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

To get 2018 off to a good start, I headed down to Little Tokyo near downtown Los Angeles this morning to the annual New Year's Day Oshogatsu festival. I've noticed that I've had good years whenever I've attended the Oshogatsu.

As usual, they had plenty of stores open, booths with goods, service and food as well as entertainment on stage at Weller Court.

My only disappointment was not seeing my former boss, ex-Assemblyman Paul Bannai this year. He's now in his 90s. I hope he's doing well.

While there I had my first hot mocha of the year at the Japanese Village. Anime Jungle had several booths of Japanese pop culture collectibles and their stores were also open.

I noticed a couple of changes. First, the stage in Weller Court now faces north. In previous years, it always faced south. Second, the New Otani Hotel is now the DoubleTree By Hilton. I attended many events at the New Otani Hotel back in the 1970s.

It was an enjoyable excursion. I don't know when I will be able to return after I move to New Mexico.

Here's a few pictures:

Above, taiko drummers performing at Weller Court. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, one of the shops in Japanese Village who sells Godzilla goods. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, one fun activity in Little Tokyo is roaming around a Japanese market. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, one of the food booths. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, the Ellison Onizuka/Challenger memorial and Los Angeles City Hall. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, my first mocha coffee of the year. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, yours truly at Japanese Village. 

Above, the crowd watching the Weller Court performances. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Above, a performer on stage in Weller Court. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

No comments:

Search This Blog