"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." - President Ronald Reagan.

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition

Buy The Amazon Kindle Store Ebook Edition
Get the ebook edition here! (Click image.)

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Enchiladas At Genaro's In Gallup

Above, the outside of Genaro's. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

"If you suffer from hemorrhoids, the sauce will surely weld them shut!" - Unknown.


Finally got my first taste of New Mexico Mexican food!

Since there is supposed to be a storm coming in tonight with snow in the forecast for tomorrow morning, I figured that tonight would be a good time to try out one of the restaurants listed in "The New Mexico Enchilada Trail" that I posted about last month.

The Gallup, New Mexico restaurant that was included in the list was Genaro's. I decided to give their enchiladas a try. I have to admit that once I got there, I was sorely tempted to get the chili rellenos instead. But I will try those on my next visit.

Here's what Only In Your State said about Genaro's:
The chicken enchiladas at Genaro’s are authentic and succulent. It’s hard to decide whether the red or green sauce is better here, so go for Christmas. Genaro’s is a bit of a diamond in the rough but you won’t regret giving this restaurant a chance. It’s located at 600 W Hill Avenue in Gallup.

I elected to go with beef enchiladas with red sauce. I wasn't disappointed! It was great and the sauce was so hot (in a spicy way) that sweat was dripping down my forehead and my scalp was saturated. I felt like I needed to rush home to wash my hair. It was THAT good! I can see why there's a big (and I do mean BIG) napkin dispenser at each table. Diners need them to wipe the perspiration off.

Above, my meal before it was totally consumed. Photo by Armand Vaquer.

Along with the three enchiladas, the dinner came with hominy, refried beans and rice (not the usual dry Spanish rice).

Genaro's was established in 1975 and Gigi Garcia is the owner. The hours are 10:30 am to 7:30 pm Tuesday through Saturday (good thing I decided to go there today since they are closed tomorrow).

When I arrived, the restaurant was packed with people. The decor isn't much to look at since it looks like a mom & pop diner. But it's the food that's most important.

My grade: A.

No comments:

Search This Blog